Friday, April 29, 2011

Full Circle

I'm one of those...you know the ones...those who believe the fairy tale.

I dreamed one day my prince would come. I sang along with Snow White, danced along with Cinderella, even dreamed alongside Belle.

It was four o'clock in the morning on July 29, 1981 and the Oklahoma air was already hot and humid. This eleven year old country girl sat with wide eyes as close as she could to the television screen. The volume was turned down very low so that she wouldn't wake the rest of the family in that small farm house. I was watching a fairy tale coming true.

Or so I thought.

Unfortunately, that prince and beautiful princess did not live happily ever after.

Although I had not planned on being awake at two o'clock this morning, I awoke at two-thirty and decided that I couldn't pass up the opportunity to see the eldest son of that beautiful princess marry his own princess.

This morning the Colorado air was crisp and chilled. This forty-one year old married woman sat in her recliner in front of a huge high definition flat screen. The volume was audible. My eyes were more cynical and suspect about the prospect of this fairy-tale-happily-ever-after wedding.

But then it happened, Kate stepped onto the red carpet of Westminster Abbey. She looked every bit the princess. Her wedding dress regal, elegant. Her train carried by her doting sister. The joyous chords of organ music echoed in the stately cathedral. I leaned forward and became a little girl on the brink of womanhood, wide eyed and in awe of this beautiful woman on her way to marry Prince Charming.

Thank you William and Kate for reminding me that I still believe in fairy tales.

No comments: