Monday, April 18, 2011

Bedtime for the Wilsons

Not a restful night last night.

Troy took Friday and today off work for a much needed time of rest. His type of rest is reading, playing on the computer, staying up late, and waking up late.

I'm not "off work". I only work part time outside our home, but I still have to get up at 6am to give our beloved Leia her allergy medicine. (I saw that eye roll!) Yes, our girl who walks with a limp also has major spring allergies. Anyway, medicine every eight hours is unforgiving to the "mom".

I'm one of those people that can rarely go back to sleep after the alarm rings. So, alarm at 6am, up at 6am and 30 seconds. Then the dogs are walked at 7:15am. Precisely at 7:15am because that's when the high school students are picked up from the corner by the school bus. This time is also before the middle school students make their slow walk to the bus stop. The kids don't bother my dogs. My dogs bother the kids. According to my dogs, I should be deathly afraid of any person walking along with white cords hanging from their ears, looking down and pushing buttons on a small rectangular objects. No telling what could be in those backpacks! :)

I say all this to say. I don't usually have the luxury of sleeping in. (And probably wouldn't take advantage of it if I did.) So last night, at 12:30am, I called in from the bedroom to Troy in his office to ask him if he was coming to bed soon. "Yeah," he replied. I asked because I knew that if I went to sleep and then was awoken by him as he came to bed, I would have much trouble going back to sleep. A sign that I'm going through "the change". Sleep is sacred and often disrupted by night sweats and racing thoughts.

"Within the next few minutes?" I asked, hopefully.
"Yeah," non-committed.

I put down my book turned off my lamp and decided to talk to God until Troy came to bed.

ONE HOUR LATER....

Troy climbs into bed. I wake up. I'm awake. I'm hot. I'm cold. Troy starts to snore. Still awake. Look at the clock. I've lain awake for 30 minutes. Troy is cluelessly snoring. Now, I'm mad. So, I get up and take my pillow to the guest bedroom. Toss and turn. Restless, weird dreams. Wake up. Hot. Cold. Hot. Take my pillow back to our room. Get into bed.

"You okay?" Troy asks.
"Not sleeping well."
"Sorry." Troy slurs, then resumes snoring.

Finally fall to sleep after 3:38am. Alarm rings at 6am.

I really, really wish Eve had just plugged her ears, started singing, "La, La, La", and ran as fast as she could from that conniving serpent. I'm positive the whole change of life, night sweats, hot flashes, and crazy moods could have been avoided if a better decision had been made.

But on the brighter side, I'm really, really glad God blessed me with a marriage to a husband who understands this crazy time of my life and encourages me to take afternoon naps to make up for the lost sleep after dark.

And tonight I've already requested that we BOTH go to bed before 10:00pm. ;)

1 comment:

Patti G said...

I heartily agree. I wish Eve had run the other direction....for so many reasons.