Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Homework

Troy and I are in marriage counseling. Don't worry. Nothing wrong. In fact, our marriage has never been better. I truly believe that each and every marriage needs a little "tune up" now and then. We actually are working on some issues, but nothing I really want the blogging world to know about right now.

So, as I said, we are seeing Steven, the counselor, who gives us homework each time we leave. This homework usually consists of something that was discussed during the session. Our appointment is tomorrow and, true to form, we hadn't done our homework. Our assignment was this: find healthy alternatives to combat the stress in our lives. Pretty general, huh? So, tonight, as Troy was cutting the dog hair from the wheel in the vacuum cleaner, we talked about our homework. And talked. And talked. And talked.

I really don't know that we completed our homework. But I do know that we spent about an hour sharing our fears, hopes, and dreams. And I do know that this hour of sharing reduced any pent up stress I might have had.

Steven is pretty smart. I actually think the purpose of the homework was less about the end result as it was about the process.

1 comment:

Patti G said...

Marriages rarely do OK without any tune-ups. You and Troy are wise, wise, wise. I am just starting a book about marriage. Figured it was time for a few reminders on my part....