Tuesday, May 3, 2011

More Than Love

I DVR'd the episode of Oprah which featured the President and First Lady. For the most part, I enjoy listening to first ladies. It takes a special woman to share her husband's time with the world. I usually perk my ears to hear what the First Lady has to say.

Today as I readied myself for work, I played the episode. I listened while putting on make-up, doing my hair, and getting dressed. But one question made me stop my ritual and watch the response of the interviewees.

"What do you know for sure about marriage?"

Michelle Obama answered, "You have to like and respect the person you're married to...That's what I tell a lot of young couples. Don't expect it to be easy. Melding two lives and trying to raise others, and doing it forever is a recipe made for disaster...I think you go through that wonderful love stage, but when it gets hard, you need a little bit more."

I agree.... for the most part.

I do think that relying on that "love" feeling to stay married is a slippery slope. You DO need more. Even though I think "like and respect" are very important, I think a mindset of commitment and a personal relationship with God are the "more".

The first six months of our marriage were the hardest six months I've ever lived through. I had moved from rural Oklahoma to the San Francisco Bay area. Culture Shock! I had, in three short months, met and married Troy. I admit, during those months the thought of catching the next flight home crossed my mind too many times. But I kept thinking about the fact that I had made a vow before God and Troy to love, honor, and cherish until death parted us. I was committed. Still am. Always will be.

God didn't give up on me when I disappointed Him or didn't meet His expectations. That unconditional love reminds me every day how to love Troy. And how to like him.

Yes, I agree with you Michelle. When it gets hard, you need a little bit more.

No comments: