Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Good Day, Bad Day

It was/is a good day.

I woke up with the birds chirping outside. I spent some time outside enjoying the beautiful morning with the dogs. I took a walk through the canyon near my house. Just me and the ipod. I made my to do list and was able to check most everything off. I hung out at the pool listening to the giggling, squealing kids and talking to my friend, Jenni. I came home and took a nice cool shower. Troy was home early so we had dinner early (meaning the kitchen is clean before 7:00pm!) And now I'm sitting here at my computer, enjoying the cool breeze through my office window while Luke lays on the bed snoozing away. Good day.

It was a good day because I chose to enjoy this day God authored. Truth be told, I could have had a really bad day with the same circumstances. For example...

We don't have air conditioning so we leave our bedroom windows open and the stupid birds outside start making noise at 5:00am! I can't sleep with their incessant chirping. Troy left for work early, which meant I had to get his breakfast ready earlier than normal, which made the dogs go CRAZY thinking it was time for the 7:15 walk when in truth it was only 6:15. Why can't they just wait calmly? Finally, they wore me down at 7:00. We took our mandatory walk. Then I exercised. I hate exercising. But I have to at least make this mile trek 5 days a week to keep me from being a lazy, pitiful, blob. Now the to-do list. I really get tired of laundry and dishes, and vacuuming, and laundry and dishes, and dusting, and laundry and dishes. I don't want to do anything! Maybe I can muddle through a few things before I go to the pool. Bright spot in the day. Wow, these kids are noisy! I can't even hear what Jenni is saying! As I step into the shower, I notice my skin is burnt. Great, another night with "sand paper" sheets. Why can't I just tan without the hassle and pain of a burn? Darn this fair skin and blond hair. Troy's home. You want dinner when? Like in 30 minutes? Well, okay. Wasn't planning on eating that early. I'll be hungry again and eat something I shouldn't, but that's fine. The wind is coming through my window making me cold because of this darn burn. I really wish my dogs were better behaved and didn't lay on my furniture. What a horrible day!

Wow, just writing that made me realize how self serving and angry a negative attitude can be. So, the next time I choose to have such a self-serving, negative mindset, I think I'll mentally rewrite it so that this day that the Lord has made is full of rejoicing and gladness.

No comments: