Friday, June 17, 2011

God and the Go-Go Girl

My quiet time with God usually involves reading His word, praying, journaling, and reading other inspirational books. The only difference this week is that the prayer and journal time have been saturated with thoughts and petitions about my time with Cherokee.

I prayed at the beginning of the week that she would feel comfortable enough with me to share her feelings, fears, and dreams. God answered, "No problem". I prayed in the middle of the week that God would allow us to have shared moments that neither of us would forget for the rest of our lives. God must have chuckled and answered, "I can't wait to see your reaction!"

Wednesday night, Troy took Cherokee and me out to dinner. As we were finishing our dinner, Cherokee received a text from her sister, Morgan. (Morgan and Connor, Cherokee's siblings, were with my sister and her family in Branson, Missouri for a vacation while Cherokee was here with me.) Morgan said she was going to a Beatles cover band concert. Cherokee was a little envious because she really enjoys the Beatles and was actually the one who introduced Morgan to their music. When we returned home, I did research and found that a Beatles cover band named the Fab 4 was performing a free concert in the park the next night in Highlands Ranch, only about 25 minutes away!

Yesterday, Cherokee and I packed our lawn chairs, blanket, jackets, and snacks into the car and set out for a fun concert in the park. We had NO idea what was in store. We found a great spot and settled in for a night of "She Loves You" and "I Wanna Hold Your Hand".


That's when we spotted her.

She had to be at least fifty years old. She was wearing a white beret, white go-go boots, a blue open-weave fringed vest over a MUCH TOO SHORT white dress with a ruffle barely covering her backside. The outfit alone was an eye-catcher. She caught our attention immediately. Well, to be honest, she was hard to miss since she insisted on dancing (yes dancing) right in front of the speakers. Several people were nervously looking around at the crowd for confirmation that we were all witnessing the same sight.


Did I mention it was very windy?

Cherokee and I were giggling about the woman and the reaction she was receiving from the audience when "The Moment Only God Could Have Created" happened.

A huge gust of wind blew through at the same moment Go-Go Girl decided to twist. The ruffle covering her backside flipped up and exposed her white thong wedged between her sagging butt cheeks. The mooned audience in unison said, "Whoa!"

Both Cherokee and I immediately broke into the "ugly" laugh. You know the one. Your face is paralyzed into this open-mouthed smile as tears are spilling from your eyes and you can't catch your breath or make a sound. The kind of laugh that is medicine for the soul. The kind that makes you feel giddy and exhausted the rest of the night.

The kind you never forget.

The kind God planned for us to share.

Cherokee and I will still be talking about this moment for years to come. It's our exclusive shared memory.

GOD IS AWESOME!

No comments: