Sunday, August 23, 2009

Summer of '69

It was a great summer, the summer of 1969. In July, Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin were the first humans to walk on the moon. In August, three days of peace, love, and rock-n-roll happened in upstate New York.
And I was born!

This year, I was reminded over and over again that I was about to reach a milestone. Forty! The news did story after story about the fortieth anniversary of the moon landing and Woodstock.

Today is my fortieth birthday. I look back and think that when I was in fifth grade, my math teacher was forty-two. I thought that was ancient! So I am now officially ancient to all fifth graders everywhere. This honestly doesn't bother me.

This year, my birthday celebration happened in waves. We got my birthday presents, two three year old border collie mix dogs from the local shelter on August 1. I started working part time (which was a gift in an of itself) on August 10. And my parents flew in to surprise me on Saturday for a weekend celebration. It was great! If this is what happens when you turn 40, I'd gladly do it again!

Here are a couple of pictures of my presents and celebration:


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday!! I knew about your surprise and I was excited for you!!! Love the dogs and two at one time, aren't you a brave one!