Friday, August 14, 2009

Faith.....

What is it?

Hebrews 11:1 says (in my New Living Translation) "What is faith? It is the confident assurance that what we hope for is going to happen. It is the evidence of things we cannot yet see."

I've lived most of my life as a people pleaser. (Stay with me here. I promise I'm not on a tangent.) God recently told me to read Galations. So, I've started reading Galations. Immediately, I was drawn to Paul's statement in verse 10 of chapter 1. He writes, "Obviously, I'm not trying to be a people pleaser! No, I am trying to please God." This left me invigorated, but perplexed. I've been trying to please God by doing the things I think He wants me to do. But I always feel like there's more and I can't possibly do enough....so I give up. I stop talking to Him, I stop reading His word, I stop thinking about Him.

Then my gracious God led me to these verses in chapter 2, verse 19 and the first part of verse 20. "For when I tried to keep the law, I realized I could never earn God's approval. So I died to the law so that I might live for God. I have been crucified with Christ. I myself no longer live, but Christ lives in me...."

There is no earning of God's approval. The only one who could do that seemingly impossible job is Christ. He has already done it for me so that I could reap the benefit of the approval of the author and creator of the universe.

It's a concept I can't wholly wrap my mind around. But, for me, today, in this very moment, faith is knowing that because Christ paid the price from my sin, I have God's approval through no work of my own.

3 comments:

Cindy Brick said...

Why didn't you ever mention you had a blog to me before, girl!! I am looking forward to reading back through your old posts...and discovering what my friend was thinking those past months. Love ya, and keep writing...

Cindy Brick said...

Ok, I started...but it's 2 a.m., and I just finished the 'Elf Yourself' post.

And that is truly creepy. Time to stop for the night, before I have (more) nightmares.

I do not ever want to see Troy prancing around in elf shoes. Ever again. You...that's a different story!

Robin said...

Great thoughts, Steph! Thanks for the challenge. Have you read "Grace Walk"? It's an awesome book, right along the lines of what you're talking about.