Monday, August 17, 2009

Please Don't Judge a Book by its Movie!

I saw the movie "The Time Traveler's Wife" yesterday. I read the book last fall and raved about it to anyone that would listen. I saw the movie with trepidation, concerned that it was impossible to moosh 30 something years of time (and time travel) into a two hour movie.

I was right. It was impossible. I liked the movie, but only as one who had played out the book already in her mind could. I was like a proud mom watching the production of a school play. Not because she enjoyed the play, but because she knows the back stories: the time and effort the teacher in charge invested, the nervousness of her child as he walks onto the stage, the preparation of the costume. I watched the slivers of time in Henry and Claire's life on the screen wondering how anyone who hadn't read the book could understand each gut wrenching scene this reel of celluloid was trying to depict. I hurt for those who couldn't enjoy the movie as I did. And I hope that those to whom I've recommended this book will read it before they see the movie or they may never trust my recommendations again.

2 comments:

Cindy Brick said...

this is NOT making me want to go see this movie, babes...

Stephanie said...

I think if you've read the book it's a good movie, if not....