Monday, July 4, 2011

Rockets And Red Glare

Rockets:
Our church announced that as part of our annual Independence Day Celebration picnic, we would also have a model rocket launch. Knowing that Connor is a typical seven year old boy who has a unique interest in all things scientific, I made a mental note to include him (with help from Uncle Troy) in this activity.
On Monday, I took advice from a hobby shop owner named Wolf, and bought a two rocket set. He assured me, the novice rocket builder, that the set was all inclusive.

Red Glare:
On Friday, Uncle Troy was sick, more seriously than I realized. (This sickness lasted all weekend.) I asked him to read the instructions on the rockets to insure we were ready to hit the ground running on Sunday. He read through the general instructions and said we were ready to go. After the picnic, we noticed that kids started lining up at the launch pad with their rockets ALREADY BUILT! So we hurriedly opened the packages and realized that in addition to the "all inclusive" kit we needed: super glue, masking tape, "recovery wadding", a craft knife, a ruler, and a pencil!
REALLY, WOLF?!?!

So, picture the scene: Connor is watching other kids launching rockets, questions about our progress running like a river from his mouth. Troy is trying as best he can to "McGyver" this contraption with supplies borrowed from the church office. I am TICKED because Wolf misled us and because I didn't think Troy was as prepared as he should have been.

We finally gave up on the construction and went home "Red Glaring" all the way.

Rockets, Part Two:
Today, Connor and I sat at the kitchen table with most of the extra supplies at hand and finished as much as we could of the rockets. We still have to buy "recovery wadding" at Hobby Lobby tomorrow.

For now all is well. Troy is finally feeling a little better (after a bout of severe dehydration). Connor is satisfied that we have two rockets (sans wadding) on the launching pad. And I am thrilled that life is better for both of my boys.

Launch pictures to follow...

1 comment:

Jenni said...

You know, I wondered when you told me you went to a hobby shop to get your rocket. They were taking orders at church for rockets. But I thought maybe you knew something I didn't know since we didn't get one. Bummer, but think on the bright side, at least you have two rockets to shoot off on your own time. ;) You are a great auntie!