Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Humiliation

I did it.  I finally gave in and bought the Gentle Leader "bridle" for Luke and Leia about a month ago.  The loose leash training was too hard and I didn't want to deal with it wasn't working.  They were still dragging me all over the neighborhood and walks were becoming a dreaded experience every morning.  I actually started dreading them the night before. The Gentle Leader is like a bridle on a horse.  It keeps the dog from pulling because when the dog pulls it makes its head turn toward the leash. 
Getting the contraption on the dogs the first time was a circus in and of itself.  But now they are compliant and patiently sit with their little muzzles uplifted so that I can slide it on.  Leia, however, starts making snorting sounds like it's cutting off her airway passages as soon as I start to put hers on.  After a month, they still fight their bridles when they want to pull ahead, but this invention has made our morning walks much better for me.
Before our walks, Luke and Leia are filled with anticipation and ignore the humiliation of this binding headgear.  But as soon as we walk in the front door after our walks, Luke sits patiently with sad puppy eyes begging me to take the headgear off and Leia immediately throws herself in the floor in what I assume is a puppy temper tantrum to try to rid herself of this atrocious contraption before I can take it off for her.  I had to take pictures of them with their new headgear on so that I could document this scene.



No comments: