Sunday, October 25, 2009

God's Provision

Most of you have read from the bible the account of Jesus taking the boy's meager lunch of five loaves of bread and two fish and fed a crowd of 5,000 with food left over.  Well, this post follows the same line, but God took two loaves of bread and turned it into 3 1/2 slices to feed 7 people.

Our church is studying about the five purposes in life:  Worship, Fellowship, Discipleship, Evangelism, and Ministry.  In addition to the sermons about each of these purposes, our Sunday School class which Troy teaches is also studying these purposes.  This week was about Fellowship, so Troy invited the class to our house for lunch after church.  I didn't know how many of the 20 or so people were coming so I, of course, cooked for 100.  I made a crockpot full of spaghetti sauce with meat, two packages of spaghetti noodles, two big bowls of salad, and two loaves of garlic bread (made in the bread machine).  I was most proud of the bread because it was the best bread I've ever made. 

I didn't know why at the time, but this morning, before church, I decided to cut one of the loaves in half and then slice that half and put the slices on the cake pedestal for "presentation".  I wrapped the other loaf and a half in foil and left them on the counter.  So essentially, there were 7 half slices of bread ready to eat, 3 1/2 full slices. 

Troy and I went to church.  I came home just a bit before the guests arrived to find that the foil wrapped bread had been eaten by the dogs we had left in the house because it was cold and snowy outside.  Foil and crumbs were everywhere.  But there were those 7 half slices under the dome of the cake plate. 

And how many showed up for lunch?  Five people plus Troy and me. 

God provides all our needs.  Even when we have the "best laid plans".  God takes care of us.

 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.