Monday, September 7, 2009

One Step Forward, Three Thousand Steps Back

I took the dogs for their first individual training sessions yesterday. My training guide is from the website, VeterinaryPartner.com. The process for loose-leash training included immediately turning and walking in the opposite direction each and every time the dog strains against the leash. The idea is that the dog will start watching you to detect which direction to go. Leia seemed to pick up on the concept early and was constantly checking on me to see if I was changing directions. Luke, on the other hand, needed a little more reinforcement (we made the same trip back forth in front of the house several times).

So, things sound great right? Not so much!

Troy and I decided to take a walk in the canyon trail near our house with the doggies. The walk took us about triple the time we would normally take for training purposes. And we got caught in a mini rain storm.

This morning, Troy decided to be the best husband in the world and took over the responsibility for the walk. It didn't go well AT ALL!!!!! So, back to square one. I'm going to continue the loose-leash training for the next week. At that point, I'll decide what to do next.

No comments: