Sunday, July 27, 2008

More about Our New Friends

Okay, finally I'm actually writing what I promised weeks ago.

Our new friends, Ivan, Vicky, and Ivonne are from Basconcobe, Mexico. They are a part of Rava Ministries. Rava Ministries houses and arranges missionary activities for the youth group in our church as they travel to Basconcobe and the surrounding areas between December 26 and January 1 each year.

This year as our church was planning the annual Vacation Bible School, God planted the vision to reach out to the Hispanic community in Castle Rock by offering Backyard Bible Club in local parks. God also used the relationship with Rava Ministries to make this vision a reality. Some of the Rava Ministry team members traveled to Castle Rock and stayed with members of the church while they helped to facilitate the Backyard Bible Clubs.

Troy and I were blessed to have Ivan, Vicky, and Ivonne Medina stay with us for the entire week. They would get ready early in the morning, leave for a day of Bible Club, and then return late in time to get ready for bed. Just time to rest and relax before another day out in the sun. Ivan doesn't speak English, and I don't speak Spanish, so Vicky and Troy were doing a lot of interpreting! We did share a common love for breakfast burritos, Indiana Jones, and of course Jesus Christ.

My favorite part of the visit was watching Ivonne play with a Play-Do kit I brought home for her. She LOVED it. Ivonne also loved coming down stairs in the morning to visit with me before Vicky was ready. She would chatter away as she was eating her cereal. I had no idea what she was saying, so I would just smile and nod. No telling what I was agreeing to!

After taking them to the airport on Saturday, the house seemed very, very empty. I've thought about them often. Last week we received a beautiful letter, two t-shirts from Rava Ministries, and a plaque that said, "Bienvenida, Mi casa es tu casa" ("Welcome, My House is Your House"). This was one of the only things I could say in Spanish!



God has a beautiful, special way of reminding us of Christian Love. That blessed week was such a precious reminder.

No comments: