Friday, February 8, 2008

The Princess and the Coffee Maker

A couple of weeks ago, I told Troy that I wanted a programmable coffee maker for Valentine's Day. I had contemplated this for a few days, especially at six o'clock in the morning as I (in my best zombie impression) stumbled downstairs to make my early morning pot of coffee.

After a few days I realized Troy had made no mention of my Valentine's request. So being the good wife, I mentioned it again. And in the wisdom that only God can give, Troy said, "I am not getting you a coffee pot for Valentine's Day." I looked up from whatever I was doing in the kitchen and asked, "Why not?"........."I will get you jewelry, perfume, or flowers, but I will not get you a kitchen appliance for Valentine's Day." Wow, what a man!!! I didn't realize that he had been contemplating the request....and the consequences of fulfilling that request.

I can totally see myself in a year saying, "Yep, last year, Troy got me an appliance for Valentine's Day. Can you believe that?" (Conveniently leaving out the fact that I had asked for it!) After a few seconds of silence. Troy said, "Go get a programmable coffee maker if you want one. It doesn't have to be a gift." Wow, what a man!!!

So, last night I stopped by Target on my way home from work and bought a Mr. Coffee programmable coffee maker. Upon arriving home, I immmediately took it out of it's plastic bag, styrofoam incased box. I moved the old coffee pot from it's place of honor and plugged in the new one in it's place. Immediately, I read the directions, and set everything to make a pot of coffee in the morning at exactly 6:00 am. Then I stood back to behold the magnificent machine!

I have to admit the next few lines are a little embarrassing to write.

I couldn't sleep last night. I was like a small child waiting in anticipation for Santa! I looked at my alarm clock for the fourth time. It said 5:59. In one more minute a small miracle would happen. Coffee would start brewing without me having to make the trip downstairs! I lay in bed thinking about how I felt like a princess. You know, the furnace clicking on at 6:00 am to warm the house, the coffee brewing....all while I still lay in bed.

I heard the furnace click on. Warmth filtering through the grates in the floor. But, alas, I didn't hear the coffee start to brew. Could my royal dream be coming to an end? Oh no! What if I didn't set it up correctly? What if it was broken? I was sure my day could only be a good day if the new miracle appliance on the kitchen counter was fulfilling it's job.

I put on my slippers and made my way down stairs. Dreading the site of a still empty coffee pot...........Guess what?!?!? The innovation fairies were in the process of making a perfect pot of coffee!!!!

And as I sit here writing this blog, I am drinking the second cup of this first pot of coffee from the wonderful invention sitting on my kitchen counter.

I wonder what Troy's getting me for Valentine's Day??

3 comments:

Jenni said...

Oh my, Stephanie! You should write a book! This is amazing and I am sitting her picturing this whole thing unfold...laughing the entire time. Go Troy for stepping up to the plate! He gets a few stars in his sticker book for this!

Love ya!

Janet said...

Your blog is great! Love the Ipod list!

Tricia said...

My applause to Troy, in his infinite wisdom. Smart man!

And what a good story of a great start to your morning... makes me wish I liked coffee. ;o)