Friday, February 15, 2008

But, Honey, I Did It For You

Troy and I decided not to go out to dinner last night for Valentine's Day. He had a long day on his work project and I had a long day at work. I was in no mood to stand in line at a restaurant. So, I stopped by King Soopers on the way home to pick up something special, yet simple, for dinner. (Can I just tell you I love the George Foreman Grill?) Our grill was covered in snow and it was too darn cold to be outside grilling anyway. So I picked up ready-made salad, potatoes for the microwave, and two nice NY strips, and ice cream. I love convenience. It's amazing that after a long day of work, I can go home and make a really nice dinner in under ten minutes.

I've been kind of in a bad mood the last couple of days. (I think it's a girl thing.) But I wasn't thrilled about spending even 10 minutes in the kitchen after a day of work. I divulge this information because it will help you appreciate the next 30 minutes of my life.

I walked into the dark house, groceries in hand. I yelled, "Hello" to no response. I assumed Troy was in the shower. Then I heard him say, "Honey, come up here." I looked upstairs and thought, "I know it's Valentine's Day, but I'm really hungry and unless there is a bed covered in chocolate covered strawberries, I'm not very happy." So I took a deep breath and asked God to help me appreciate anything that was waiting for me. Little did I know......

Troy was in the bathroom. My initial thought was "He ran me a nice hot bath, with candle light, and chocolate covered strawberries." (Can you tell I'm craving chocolate covered strawberries?) I walked in the bathroom and was struck speechless by what I saw.

There before me stood Troy in his boxers with a shaved head and a towel full of newly shorn hair. With a huge smile, he said, "Happy Valentine's Day!"

I burst out laughing. It was the kind of laughing that comes when all emotions hit your brain at once and laughter is what comes out of your mouth. Troy was heartbroken and then a little self conscious as he said, "But, Honey, I did it for you." At that point, I wanted to cry because I realized how much he looked like a little boy standing in front of me seeking approval.

We've had several discussions in the past about the fact that I think bald heads are sexy. As Troy was resenting his receding hairline, I was cheering it on! He told me about a week ago that he should just shave his head. I said, "I think you should." Hence, my Valentine's Day present. I love Troy. I don't care if he had purple hair down to his knees I would still love him. Having a shaved head just added to my admiration.

Last night, as we were watching Deal or No Deal I noticed that Howie Mandel (the bald host) has an earring. I said, "Maybe, now, you should get an earring."

Did I say that with my outside voice?!?!?!?!

2 comments:

Janet said...

Where's the picture?!

Tricia said...

Troy.... bald?? Now THAT is devotion. Sounds like you better be careful what you verbally deem as "sexy!" :o)

By the way, my sentiments exactly on the George Foreman Grill.