Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Just Me and the Guys

This morning, I went to the Hallmark Store to get a Valentine's Day card for Troy. I have to get Hallmark cards because 1. I worked in a Hallmark shop for about two years in high school and it's kind of like Sylvan. Once you've worked for the best, you don't want anything else. 2. Troy actually looks at the back of the card to see if I "cared enough to send the very best". He does it in a sneaky way, but he does it. I've learned this the hard way. 3. I don't buy other stuff when I get a card at a Hallmark shop. If I go to the grocery store or Walgreens, my $3 card ends up costing me $33.

I digress.

So, there I am, on February 13th, at the Hallmark Store and I'm reading through all the cards and realize that for the first time in I-don't-know-how-long I was surrounded by men. Then I felt a little odd. I realized that I had become a cliche. Albeit a cliche about the male species, waiting until the last minute to get a card.

Then I started thinking, when did I get too old to really love Valentine's Day? Did I just wake up one morning and decide Valentine's Day wasn't as big a deal as it was last year? Don't get me wrong, I love hearts and flowers and pink lovey stuff. But the attention that one day a year gets for all of this seems a little over the top. Then, I realized that I haven't always loved Valentine's Day. In fact there were many February 14th's in the past that were down right miserable. Times when I woke on February 15th thanking the good Lord that there were 364 more days until the next dreaded holiday.

I digress again...........oops.

At this point in the card searching journey, I was jostled back to the present by a surly construction worker reaching for the card which obnoxiously played "Let's Get It On" when it was opened. EWWW!!

The rest of the day left me thinking about my sudden ambilivent feelings about the upcoming holiday. Then I realized that I am married to a wonderful man who makes me feel loved and appreciated. He doesn't wait until a certain day on the calendar to show his love for me. I hear his feelings from him, not from a musical card.

Thank you, God, for giving me a husband who gives me Valentine's Day every day.

No comments: