Saturday, May 25, 2013

The Highs and Lows of a GF Lifestyle

Well, here we are.  Five and a half days in. 

Highs: 
Great, restful sleep for both of us. 
No tossing and turning during the night because my hip joints are aching. 
Actually none of my joints are aching. 
Feeling much more satisfied/full after a meal.
We are not feeling hungry two hours after we eat. 
Much less bloating/gas.
Troy has been able to cut his IBS medicine by 1/3 so far.

Lows:
Initial cost. (Ridding the house of gluten and restocking with a plethora of non-wheat flours makes me thankful that we had three paydays rather than just two this month.)
My kitchen is in a constant state of clutter (preparing/cleaning)
I am forced to cook more than I really, really want to.
Eating out has become a means to an end rather than a really enjoyable experience. Almost not worth the effort of eating out. (This is the lowest of the lows.)

Overall Experience:
So far, the highs way outnumber the lows as far as quality of life are concerned.  I have had a sinus/allergy thing going on all week, so I'm not feeling the burst of energy that some people experience after being off gluten.  But even feeling a little under the weather I still walked six miles this week, so that says something.  Hopefully, when this is gone, I'll have a little more pep in my step. 

I'm grappling with the whole Weight Watcher way of eating vs. Wheat Belly Diet way of eating.  I weigh in on Tuesday night at the WW meeting.  So, we will see.  Depending on the scale, I may have to find some low-fat, gluten-free recipes.  (Wheat Belly Diet is very much like Atkins, but instead of no carbohydrates, you substitute "good grains" for wheat.)  Troy has also noticed that he needs to get off the two Diet Coke a day habit.  He thinks the artificial sweetener is messing with him. 

It's all still in the tweaking stage, but we've both decided that we are feeling better.  That's what matters.

 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Patty Grams recommended a place to eat out, when dealing with food issues. Genghis Grill, in Park Meadows.
Also, yes, Aspartame will mess with you and your joints.
Hang in there, you are doing great.
Susie King