Wednesday, September 7, 2011

And Then They Will Know...

I may finally do it this year. I may finally read through the whole bible in a year. It's inevitable that in December, near Christmas, I feel that urge, that need, to read the whole bible. I have read parts of the bible many, many times. I'm ashamed to say, there are parts of God's Word I have never read.

So January 1, 2011 I decided I was actually going to do it this year. Well, I have had days, weeks that I have not read the specified reading and then have spent weeks reading "two-a-days" to catch up only to become lazy and miss several days again.

I say all this to say that I'm reading Ezekiel right now. (According to the reading schedule I should be reading one of the minor prophet books right now, but I'm playing catch up AGAIN!) Two-a-days in Ezekiel. I wouldn't recommend it. I'm reading about eight chapters a day, which gets a little mind numbing. Please understand, I'm not studying as I'm reading. I just want to read through partly to say I have but also because I am learning so much about God even in the craziness of catch-up reading.

Over and over again in the book of Ezekiel, God says to the prophet, "This is what the Sovereign Lord says" followed by prophesy which history has proven did indeed happen. God tells Ezekiel that the reason the prophesy is being spoken AND the reason for Jerusalem's downfall is "then they will know that I am the Lord."

I thought about that as I walked the dogs today. I looked up at the beautiful clouds and the sun trying to peek through. I thought, "God didn't just want to prove who He was to those listening to Ezekiel. He is also talking to me." I have the privilege of seeing what Ezekiel did not see. God spoke these prophesies through Ezekiel so that we could look back on history and see that what the Sovereign Lord said came to pass so that I would know that He is the Lord my God.

And I have a personal relationship with THE Sovereign, All-Powerful God. Mind Boggling. Humbling. Amazing!

No comments: