Thursday, April 30, 2009

Band of Gold

Troy and I were engaged five whole days before we were married. In that short amount of time we: bought my ring, bought my dress and shoes, secured a perfect location for the Saturday afternoon wedding and the weekend honeymoon, hired the preacher, ordered the cake for the reception to follow a week after the wedding, ordered my bouquet, invited our immediate family, and placed the announcement in the local paper. Whew......I think about it now and wonder how the stars aligned in such a way to make all this happen in such a timely manner.

Before we did any of the tasks from the previous list, we bought Troy's wedding band at the Walmart in Marble Falls, Texas. It cost $54.99. It was a plain gold band. We didn't have very much money so this was the perfect ring at the time.

Troy plays with his ring constantly. He also has to take it off and put it on his key ring or in his pocket while he's working with electricity (which he does almost every day.) I told him that if he ever lost it all he would have to do was run by Walmart on the way home and pick up a new one.

Well, it happened. He lost it.

The first thing he said when I came home Monday night was, "Guess what happened today." He held up his hand to show me his ring was missing. "I lost my ring."

My response was, "And you didn't run by Walmart to pick up a new one?"

He got misty-eyed and I knew in that moment that inexpensive band of gold was priceless to him.

So tonight, my friend Jenni and I met after work at Zales and picked out a very nice two-tone brushed silver and gold wedding band for the man I love more than anything else in this world.

I walked in the door tonight with a to-go box of Troy's favorite snack, jalapeno poppers. Inside was the ring tucked in it's Zales box. Troy opened the styrofoam to go box, saw the smaller jewelry box and instantly knew what it held. I love that he almost dropped the food to get to the ring. He loves it. He won't take it off even though we need to have it sized!

God has a way of reminding me in the mundane day to day living of life that he picked out this man just for me. And with that gentle reminder He fills my heart with even more love for this man than I felt on the day we bought that fifty dollar band of gold.

1 comment:

Robin said...

What a sweet story, Steph! So cool to see God growing your love after many years together :o)