Friday, December 28, 2012

Way Ahead of the Game

It seems to happen every year.  Before the Christmas lights are packed away for their 11 month nap, the television programs and commercials begin their annual suggestions for New Year's resolutions.
Healthy and debt-free living top the list every year.  Both very admirable.  Both have topped my list almost every year of my adult life.  But it took more than a New Year's resolution to get the ball rolling.

Food and money management have caused me extreme stress my entire life.  I was the girl who stopped on her way home from college to buy a soda and candy bar with my last few measly coins and then panicked a few miles later when I realized that I didn't have money for the toll booth.  (I made it home.  And I honestly can't remember if I turned around and went the non-toll route or pulled over and searched the car for stray coins until I found enough to get me through.)  

This year, when I hear the diet and debt consolidation commercials, I smile a little.  I give all glory to God because we are way ahead of the game.  I've written to the point of nausea about my weight loss journey this past year, so I'll spare you the repeat.  I haven't written about the other thing going on in our lives. 

Two weeks after Troy and I were married, we were faced with a situation that could have broken us.  We had put earnest money down on a mobile home and a lot in Victoria, Texas where Troy had been hired to work at a factory.   We had both quit our jobs in anticipation of the move.  And then we got the phone call.  The company that had hired Troy was reascending the offer because they were downsizing.  Troy was devastated.  I immediately went to the only source I knew, my heavenly Father.  I prayed for understanding, wisdom, and peace.  I cried for Troy, who didn't have this source of comfort at that time.  I cried for our uncertain future.  But when I finished praying, I knew that everything would be okay.  I knew God had this under control.  And He did.  God moved us to the San Francisco Bay Area and the rest is our blessed history. 

But during this transition, we had few financial resources.  We basically had wedding gift money, credit cards, and a personal line of credit we opened to help with deposits and a few months of utilities until we could get on our feet.  Through the years we were in a cycle of paying off, adding to, and paying off credit cards.  But the line of credit was our nemesis.  We would get it paid down and then something would happen that we needed to dip into it again. 

This summer, we both felt God's prompting to get our debt under control.  We discussed how God was working and made a commitment to pare down our spending habits in order to be obedient. We were able to pay off the small balance on our credit card almost immediately.   In the midst of this pauper-like lifestyle, God also prompted Troy to return to seminary adding tuition and books to the mix.   It has been hard, very hard.  But it's also been a huge blessing.  Over the past few months, God has provided in so, so many ways.  He has miraculously provided our needs AND some of our wants. 

This morning I made the LAST PAYMENT on the line of credit.  Praise God!!!!!  It has been only with His guidance and wisdom that we have been able to accomplish this. 

I think from this moment on, every time I see a commercial about weight loss or money management, I'm going to stop and offer a prayer of praise and thanksgiving to God.  That's my resolution.

1 comment:

Birdie said...

I love this!

I have had a similar experience with God this year. It's like everytime I started to stress, something would come up, and I would be provided for. It's amazing how God takes care of us! I'm still blown away by it. :)

I can't wait to keep reading your blog in 2013. Happy new year!!!