Monday, December 31, 2012

That's How We Roll

My back is achy.  My legs are crying out for a break today, but no such break is coming.  (Except for this mini-break taken to write this post.)

Troy and I have been dreaming, planning, and saving for new furniture for our living room.  We bought a fabric covered couch and chair set in California.  We lugged this furniture to Colorado, and then made the brilliant move to adopt two shed-crazy dogs.  Over the course of the last few years, we have regretted ever buying fabric covered furniture.  First, impossible to get the "dog" smell out.  But most important, the fabric is apparently made from a Velcro like material which refuses to release fur.  I can vacuum all day and still be left with fur covered clothing when I sit on it.  So we constantly warn friends and family who visit to NOT SIT ON THE LIVING ROOM FURNITURE.  (Now for those who have now taken us off your visitation list, we do have a family room full of very comfortable, clothes friendly, leather furniture.)

So, we were finally ready to buy leather furniture for the living room.  I've been perusing the local furniture store websites for this new furniture.  I also just accidentally on purpose looked at bedroom furniture.  (We haven't had a headboard in about four years and the head of the bed is against an outside wall....very cold.)  I found a leather couch and chair for a really reasonable price at a local furniture store.  I also found a beautiful sleigh bed with a handy storage bench and two large night stands.  The store is running a year end clearance and we would actually be able to buy the living room set with the Christmas money we received from our parents.  (Thanks guys!) I mentioned the bedroom furniture to Troy in passing.  But much like Ralphie in The Christmas Story, I was plotting the perfect time to make a plea.

Friday night, Troy and I stop by the furniture store on our way out to dinner with friends.  I find the couch and chair that I liked.  We sit in it and decide, "Yes.  This can be bought with Christmas money."  Then, I show Troy the bedroom furniture I liked online.  It was even better in person.  Troy didn't want to leave it, but we just didn't have enough saved for the bed, storage bench, and night stands. 

All day Saturday, our conversation would routinely involve how to buy the bedroom furniture. By Saturday night at about 8:30pm, we were in the car, on our way to the furniture store.  We had decided to move around some funds, not buy the storage bench, and make the purchase.  So, there we were at 9:45pm, signing for delivery on New Year's Day (along with the living room furniture).

Here's where it gets interesting.  Between 9:45pm on Saturday night and midnight last night.  We made plans to:  remove the chair rail from the bedroom walls, repair damage from removal of chair rail, texture the repairs, paint walls and trim, remove closet doors and paint, and move the fur covered furniture to the garage so that later I can do some major cleaning before setting them on the curb with a "free" sign attached.  This needs to be completed before the new furniture is delivered on Tuesday....yes, tomorrow.  We made major progress between purchasing paint and supplies yesterday afternoon and falling into the guest bedroom bed at midnight last night, hence the achy back and legs.  And here I sit, anticipating a day full of blue tape, plastic covered carpet, and paint...all day long.

Only Troy and I could spontaneously decided to pack two weeks of home improvement into 48 hours. We are the Wilsons.  That's how we roll. 

No comments: