Monday, August 13, 2012

Meet Lulu



Yes, she has a name.  Actually her name was given to her by Schwinn, but I kind of like it, so Lulu it is!  She's, as you can see, very girly and she sports a pretty pink basket on her handlebars.  I loved her instantly and couldn't wait to bring her home.

This post may need a little back history. 

Troy unknowingly has suffered with sleep apnea for quite some time.  He now wears a mask at night attached to an APAP machine to help him sleep soundly.  About two weeks ago, he realized that he still was feeling sluggish even though he was well rested.  He came home from work one night and announced that he needed to be intentional about his exercise.  This would not only improve his overall physical health, but would also allow him to work off some of the stress he feels from his job.  He decided that he would like to buy a bicycle.  (This coming from a man who gets frustrated trying to drive around bikers on the highway.)  I was all for the idea and encouraged him to find a bike he liked.  He came home with a Schwinn hybrid (?).  The first day he rode for 15 minutes and was huffing and puffing when he was finished.  But he's continued to ride for at least 15 minutes every day since.

Last Thursday, Troy asked if I would like to get a bike so that we could ride the bike trails around our neighborhood together.  The thought had never crossed my mind!  The last time I was on a bike was about 30 years ago.  Could I still ride a bike?  Was I too heavy for a bike?  But I said, "Sure!"  (Who am I to pass up a new toy?)  So we went to Target and the rest is recent history....

The old saying is true, "It's just like riding a bike."  It all came back to me.  And yes, the bikes have weight limits, but I was under the weight limit by several pounds.  Troy and I rode on Saturday for about 10 minutes and yesterday for about 15.  I really enjoy riding with him and look forward to the day that I don't end my ride huffing and puffing. 

1 comment:

Birdie said...

I actually have that bike as well! She rides like a charm and is a beauty to boot.

(There's a really nice bike path over by Aspen Groves mall. It's in nature and you can bike to Chatfield reservoir, about three miles there and back.)