Sunday, January 2, 2011

Starting Again....Tomorrow

My white-knuckled hands are on the wheel. The winter wonderland all around me glistens in the morning sun. But my eyes are focused on the snow packed road in front of me. I haven't left my driveway and I'm seriously considering staying in the familiar safety of my home. My destination is a reward I've been looking forward to for many, many years. Can I do it? If I slide off the road, will I be able to get back on it and continue my journey? Will an obstacle be in my way that I cannot manuever around without damage?

Many times I've felt these feelings when driving after it's snowing or has recently snowed in Colorado. However, this is also the feeling I have about continuing my weight loss journey. My destination is the reward of being healthy, slim, and physically able to do so many things I cannot do now. But the journey is riddled with obstacles that have stopped me before.

I actually started this journey on August 24, 2010. The day after my birthday. I was really tired of my lifestyle. So, I looked back on the last few years at my weight loss attempts and picked the one that most success. It was the Fat Smash Diet by Dr. Ian Smith. (The doctor from that VH-1 reality show where washed up celebrities try to loose weight.) I had followed this plan about 3 years before and lost more than 30 lbs. Since that time I had gained 40+ pounds back. But I digress.

On August 24th, I started following the diet as regimented in the book. By December 1, I had lost 31 pounds! Very proud of me! I could get into jeans that were two sizes smaller. I was exercising 5 times a week. Feeling much better. I had already decided that Christmas time was going to be a break from the regulations of the diet. I wasn't going to worry about what I ate and exercise would happen only if I wanted to get up and do it. Here I am 10 pounds heavier. I'm a little down about that, but at least I don't weigh what I weighed on August 24th PLUS 10 pounds!

Tomorrow I continue my journey. This is the l-o-n-g journey. No Christmas break four months in. My goal is to stay faithful until September 15th, taking only a day each month to binge. It's a long journey, but the destination is so worth it. I'm a little scared, white-knuckled, and really anxious. But I'm also excited about getting back into the routine and experiencing the results of hard work.

So, here I go ........

1 comment:

Janet said...

You go Girl! You look great! I'm back at the blog. So fun to read your words! You're a great writer!