Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Oooooo.....Shiny!

I'm a little bit ADD. Definitely not ADHD. Not a hyperactive bone in my body.

I told Troy about a funny sign I saw recently. It said, "I'm not easily distracted, I'm just.......Oooooo, Shiny!"

Troy asked if I realized that was totally me. I do, I do realize this.

This aspect of my personality has both pros and cons and they are equally important. The positives of this personality trait are that I tend not to dwell on unpleasant things very long. I don't obsess about things. I have varied interests. The consequences of the trait are kind of the flip side to the positives. I'm not detailed oriented because I don't pay enough attention to any one thing to see the details. Many things in my life are left undone because something else was more interesting at the moment. Immediate gratification is a huge downfall of this ADD personality.

Take this blog post, for example, I started off writing about a funny trip to Best Buy in search for a new laptop for me and it's turned into a dissertation about the advantages and disadvantages of ADD.

Okay, back to the original plan.

I've been jealous of Troy's two (count them two) very light, very easy to maneuver laptops for quite sometime. He brings them from the upstairs office to the den often. They taunt me. I have a laptop. But 10 minutes of the 12 pound sharp edged monstrosity in my lap and my legs are going numb! I've mentioned that I wanted a new laptop several times. Troy told me that when we found a good one for less than $500, we would get it. I had given up on it. (Actually, I forgot about it.) But Troy found a great buy on a Dell Inspiron for $499. So off we went to Best Buy.

Troy is checking out all the "specs" of the laptops on display. I, of course, was checking out bells and whistles. Finally, we saw the one we were looking for. Troy is rambling on about all the advantages of this one as compared to the other laptops we looked at. He noticed I was temporarily speechless. He looked up at me to see what was wrong. I was staring at the sleek, reflective, SIX POUND, vision of a laptop. All I could say was, "Ooooo.....Shiny!"

And here I sit on my comfy couch in the living room, listening to my music, drinking a bottle of water and writing on my new, light, laptop. And, it's shiny!

1 comment:

Jenni said...

I'm laughing out loud at this post! One because I know you very well and know this is true...and I love this about you! And two, I can totally see the whole Best Buy thing in my mind. Ooooh, Shiney!