Sunday, November 16, 2008

Nathan Here

"Nathan Here" has been written on my calendar for several weeks. The top of the squares designating the days of November 13th, 14th, and 15th were titled "Nathan Here".

For those of you who don't know, Nathan is Troy's son from his former marriage. Troy became a part of Nathan's life when Nathan was three years old. Troy later adopted him. The contacts between father and son were sporadic in the years after Nathan's mother and Troy were divorced. Two years after Troy and I were married, Nathan came to California to visit during Thanksgiving break. Nathan was 14. He was good at being 14. Contact after that time was again hit and miss. Then about a month ago, the 18 year old Nathan called to say that he would like to come for a visit.

I had trepidation about the visit. I didn't know what the adult-boy's intentions were. I also didn't quite know how to relate to him. And I worried that Troy might have high expectations that might not be met.

The 13th came. Nathan here.

He's a pleasant kid who is unsure of himself. He rattles off motherly advise much like Forrest Gump. For example, before pouring a glass of pineapple juice from concentrate, Nathan stated, "Mom always says to shake well before drinking anything from concentrate."

He's into anything Japanese. Even wearing shoes that Troy calls "planks of wood". I have a feeling Troy is being "paid back" for all the times he didn't understand why his dad couldn't be more into science fiction.

He loved the snow we got on Friday. As soon as Troy told him it was snowing, Nathan jumped out of bed and within five minutes was out the door for a play time in the snow.



Nathan and Troy have very little in common. (Isn't this true of most father-son relationships?) He spends a lot of time by himself on the computer. (Normal, I'm sure.)

I really like Nathan and hope that he will come visit many more times in the near future. I think the more time we could spend with each other, the more we would feel more comfortable with each other's personality. He brings out the mothering quality in me. I like that.

Nathan here. It's been good. Nathan leaves for San Antonio tonight.

It makes me sad to see that tomorrow's square on the calendar is blank.

No comments: