Tuesday, December 29, 2009

The Hermit Syndrome

So, basically, I haven't been out in the world past my driveway since Friday. Yep, I've become a recluse. And for the most part, I'm fine with that. However, I had a dream last night that I was shunned by the world and had to work in a tiny little room while everyone else was having fun all together. I was sad in my dream, but actually, that doesn't sound too far from the truth. Since I started working part time, I've kind of shut myself off from the world. I have friends (I really do!) but like me they are busy with their own lives. Is this what happens to those sad people that make headlines when they are found by police buried in piles of newspaper? Am I going to end up on an episode of "Intervention"?

I don't think I'm that far gone. I'm just taking a break from the world. Bears do it. Flowers do it. Caterpillars do it. I rest my case. So there, subconscious. I'm fine. I don't need your dreams of shunned loneliness. I'm fine! I will emerge from my den of hibernation, my layer of protective earth, and my swaddling cocoon. And when I'll do I'll be a much better person for it. I'll see the world with new wide eyes. I'll bloom in bright beautiful colors, and I'll fly to my highest potential.

Right now, I think I'll just cuddle up on in my recliner and read, crochet, and be a hermit just a little while longer.

No comments: